We are convinced that capturing opportunities in the green buildings with high environmental performance such as energy/water efficiency and promoting waste reduction will bring long-term benefit to JEI and committed to improve environmental performance of the portfolio as follows.
JEI Green building commitment
We are measuring and monitoring 100% of our portfolio, including even the non-certified green buildings to improve environmental performance.
JEI has set the target to reduce energy, CO2 and water use intensity by an average of 1% per year, 5% from the average of 2015 to 2019 over 5 years from 2020 to 2024 as long-term perspective.
JEI performance against the target is shown below. (As to water consumption and waste amount, only the performance is disclosed at the moment).
|FY 2018||FY 2019||FY 2020|
|Total Energy Consumption||Total||(MWh)||128,178||122,695||109,293|
- As a general rule, the above data covers all properties held at the end of March of each fiscal year.
- Intensities shall be calculated as follows: (Total use or CO2 emissions) / (Total leasable area [㎡]) × (Occupancy rate[annual average][%])
- "Scope1" is direct emissions of GHG which is from using fuels in buildings.
- "Scope2" is indirect emissions of GHG which is using electricity, district heating & cooling supplied from other companies.
- The above "Environmental Performance" was prepared based on the "WEB information" attached below which has been given limited assurance by a third party organization (Ernst & Young Shinnihon LLC).
- WEB information
- Independent Assurance Report
Smart meters (※) have been set at 29 out of 35 properties owned by JEI (as of end of June 2021).
- A smart meter is a next-generation power meter that can measure electricity consumption digitally and have a function to send the relevant data within it. It enables to get the picture on electricity consumption and analyze optimal activity on electricity consumption with the data stored by it.
The target number of green building certifications to be acquired is set on the annual plan by the sustainability council each year and asset management division is to acquire/maintain certifications accordingly.
Refurbishments of existing buildings to improve environmental performance and be certified to green building standard
JEI has constantly made refurbishments on its portfolio to improve environmental performance of the properties as introduced below.
Building Refurbishments for Energy Efficiency
At the timing of replacing lightings in common area, where energy and cost savings effects are confirmed, normal lightings are upgraded to LED or high-frequency fluorescent lights to reduce energy consumption.
Building Refurbishments for Water Efficiency
Refurbishments to reuse grey water and rainwater for non-potable water are implemented to 7 properties.
Green bond to finance green building
Eligible properties for green bond are set as a building with green building certification above a certain level to improve/maintain quality of the portfolio.
Green certified Percentages
As of September 8, 2021
|Green certified buildings as % of total||Leasable Floor
|Green certified space as % of total|
|DBJ Green Building||22||62.9%||279,526.96||83.9%|
|CASBEE for Real Estate||1||2.9%||8,949.04||2.7%|
|An Office Taking Excellent Specific
Global Warming Countermeasures
Labeling System (BELS) evaluation
- Properties which are conferred a couple of certifications are deducted from the figure of the certificated properties.
- The coverage rates are percentages of each number of properties / leasable floor spaces to the total number of properties(34) / leasable floor spaces of properties(327,953.11m²) owned by JEI(excluding the property consisting of only land).
- For co-owned properties, the leasable floor spaces are calculated in the effective co-ownership interest ratio of JEI.
Commercial Arrangements with Tenant to improve environmental performance (Green Lease)
JEI has arranged green lease clauses in its basic lease agreements for office tenants to reduce environmental burdens in cooperation. Our green lease clauses include obligation to comprehensively co-operate to mitigate environmental burdens, agreement for data sharing, metering and environmentally conscious refurbishment. For those who renew or sign a new lease contracts, such green lease clauses are included.
|Raito of Green Lease||98.7 %|
- Ratio of office tenants with whom JEI has concluded contracts including green lease clauses from April 2016 to December 2019.
Engagement with Property Management Companies
JEI has established sustainability requirements for property management companies to improve environmental performance of the portfolio. When initiating contract with property management companies, JEI assesses the company using those requirement and those requirements and JEI Sustainability Policies are explained to ask for adherence in property management. The compliance to those requirements is monitored through an annual survey.
Green Building Training and Accreditation of Employees
Employees at JEAM who actually operate JEI receive training program on sustainability to broaden expertise and improve environmental performance of properties.
Please find the below link for the percentage of officers and employees who received sustainability training.
Urban revitalization / redevelopment
JEI's sponsor, NIPPON STEEL KOWA REAL ESTATE, has been engaged in urban revitalization business to provide spaces abundant in plants and trees in the city. JEI is collaborating closely with NIPPON STEEL KOWA REAL ESTATE to achieve such environment by acquiring a part of the green building developed by NIPPON STEEL KOWA REAL ESTATE, such as AKASAKA INTERCITY AIR and managing the building.
Please find the below link for more information on Environmental Initiatives of NIPPON STEEL KOWA REAL ESTATE.
JEI is proactively expanding greenery at owned properties to curb rises in temperatures.
AKASAKA INTERCITY AIR